Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Seed Order Has Arrived!


My seed order just arrived today!  Now to plan my potager garden for this year.  What is a potager garden, you might ask?  It is a decorative kitchen garden with repetitive geometric patterns that not only provides food for the table, but a beautiful vista and year round interest.  Mine is in it's very beginning stages.  I am working on a layout that I can change around as needed for crop rotation.  I am a strong proponent of organic gardening and companion planting to achieve best results.  This can prove a little tricky at times when you have a smaller sized plot.  For my garden this year I have selected the following vegetable varieties:  Oriole Orange Chard, Lollo Rossa Lettuce, Forellenschluss Lettuce, Desiree Dwarf Blauwschokkers Garden Pea, Purple Plum Radish, Chioggia Beet, Atomic Red Carrot, Dwarf Siberian Kale, Bacalan De Rennes Cabbage, Stuttgarter Onion, Pink Elephant Tomato, Georgescu Chocolate Pepper, Leutschauer Paprika Pepper, Calima Bush Bean, Chinese Red Noodle Bean, Vates Collards, Prescott Fond Blanc Melon, and Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop Squash.   I will interplant the vegetables with rows or borders of flowers :  Pink Senorita Zinnia, Geisha Girl Calendula, Violet Bowle's Black Pansy, Gypsy Sunshine Marigold, and Hopi Black Dye Sunflower.  Each of the flowers have a decorative purpose and some are good at keeping pests at bay (the marigold, especially).  I will start some of my seeds indoors next month....more details to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment